Pages

Friday, August 14, 2015

Life Lessons....From the Ocean


In my quest to do some finishing touches in my kitchen that is almost finished being renovated, I was determined to add some quotes around the room. Above my kitchen door seemed to be the perfect place. I wanted something that would give me hope and courage every time I walk out the door to face the world. I debated scripture, but I also wanted something that involved my place of peace, my place I feel closest to God. The beach.

I kept thinking of the quote, or at least I thought it was a quote until I couldn't find it anyplace I looked, "When life sends you a storm, ride the waves." The closest I could find was about surfing.  I then spent days searching for the perfect quote, but I kept coming back to the one about the storm and waves. After careful thought, I realized I wanted something a little more than that. Afterall, I don't face a storm in my life everyday. I began playing around with words and I finally came up with:
               "Sit upon the shore
                   Stir the ocean
                       Ride the waves"

But what does this have to do with life lessons or even my desire for something above my door to remind me how to take on each day? How does this remind me to keep God front and center?

SIT UPON THE SHORE...
There are times in life when we must sit still. When I think of sitting on the shore, I think of observing life around me. I think of quiet. Of slowing down. Of taking time to really listen. Of simply being in awe of the masterpiece stretched out before me created by our Heavenly Father. And as of late, of writing my cares and worries in the sand as a way of handing it all to God knowing that the waves will come and wash the words away just like God helps to ease our troubles, our minds, when we have the faith to let go and trust in Him. This line is my reminder that sometimes I need to keep my mouth shut, observe what is around me, listen, and to turn it all over to God.


STIR THE OCEAN...

Just like there are times in life that we must be still, there are also times when we must stir things up. We can't just be complacent and always accept things as they are. Sometimes we must fight for what we believe in. Sometimes we have to be the voice of change. And yes, even though it may be hard to do, we may have to step out on that limb and do what Jesus said. We have to "Go forth and make disciples." That may not sound like stirring the ocean, but when was the last time you shared your testimony with others, got into the really deep conversations with someone about their faith, helped them to come to know Christ? It's not as easy as it may sound. Although some people seem to do this effortlessly.
  

RIDE THE WAVES...
And then we come to to the last line. Ride the waves. This is my reminder that life is not always going to be easy. Sometimes the waters are going to be calm and the sailing will be smooth. Other times the storms will rage, the waves will crash, the current will take you under. No matter what the weather and how gentle or rough the waves are, you must learn to ride them. My favorite verse is Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. To ride the waves it to realize that God is going to take care of us, he has called each of us according to his purpose. When we fight against the waves we are left getting no where, exhausted, and ready to give up at times. When we learn to ride the waves, we can end up arriving at an amazing destination that we never even dreamed possible.

One final note...
We have to learn to do each of these things and know when we should sit, when we should stir, and when we should ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment