Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

The Stripper

The closer we got to Charleston, the more my toes began to wiggle. "Ahhhh....the beach is so close, but will we have time?" was all I could think about other than Bradley and finding the answers. It didn't matter because I would make the time. Even if it meant getting back a little late. You simply cannot get this close to a beach and not dig your toes in the sand.

As we left the dermatologists office, we started the lunch discussion. Mark and his desire for Melvins and my philosophy that just like having to go to the beach, you've gotta enjoy some good seafood. I decided that maybe we should get seafood for lunch because of lunch menu prices (big laugh there) and do Melvin's for dinner.

Since we had 3 hours to kill we decided to double check to see if Sullivan's was open....it wasn't, so we went over to Isle of Palms and ate at Coconut Joes. While dining on the porch looking out over the ocean I could feel all the stress from the past months just melt away. God knew what he was doing by guiding us to eat with such a view.

To make things even better, we still had enough time to walk down to the beach. While mom changed into sandals and Mark double checked our parking time, I headed with Bradley down to the beach. As my toes sank into the warm sand whatever was left of stress was gone. I was energized and could barely contain my excitement as Bradley discarded his blanket (he had been keeping it because his hands hurt), kicked off his own shoes and let me roll up his pant legs.

Given the previous years of Bradley screaming once in the water, I thought I'd give it a go to get him to run after me or at least step into the water. As we chased each other being dinosaurs and monsters the uninhibited laughter of a three year old boy rang over the wind. The best part: it wasn't another 3 year old, it was Bradley. My Bradley. It had been so long since he had run, laughed, giggled, and carried on like any three year old should be able to do. It was as if all the pain he'd been feeling had disappeared. Ah...the power of the beach.

I could see Mark and my mom getting closer and Bradley and I kept up with our frolicking. Next thing I know he's complaining because his pants were wet. And then it happened....

he STRIPPED!

As I laughed at the sight, I convinced him to put his underwear back on. By this time daddy was in the picture and helped out. I went to put his pants with our other belongings and share the story with my mom (Nana). As we got to where Bradley and Mark were, I started back chasing Bradley.

Next thing I know, my scared to death don't put me anywhere near the water are you kidding me mom this is cold and knocks me down son was wading further into the ocean. Uh oh, would one of us have to go in after him?

I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when he came running back.

That day Bradley had a chance to have a normal three year old moment and for that I thank God. It was the best ten minutes in a long time. Lord, I pray you continue to keep Bradley's spirits high and provide him with many more opportunities to be a youthful, innocent, carefree child.

2 comments:

  1. i loved that story! i miss the beach so much and i miss it more just reading about it ha ha! :) Jenna keeps asking when we will go again- hopefully soon! we should try to plan a trip together so the kids could play!
    love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of small moments make happiness, don't you think? Bradley will probably add this to his collection. It sounds like you need the beach more often. Just take your lunch.

    Peace,

    ReplyDelete