Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

From ELI to IF

As I was leaving the restroom, I ran into a proposal. Okay....I really ran into my previous principal who asked me to hang on a moment.

After checking under stalls, the conversation began. A conversation that was life changing. And no matter how torn I was about the prospect that I may not be at the school I've called home for 6 years, God seemed to calmly whisper in my ear: All things are called according to my purpose. Brandi, this is the path I have chosen for you. You have freewill and it is up to you, but here is the path.

As I left the conversation, I knew that the proposed job was between me and another person. By the time the workshop ended, I was asked if I would be available to talk the next day. I answered honestly that it was not planned for me to be there the next day, in fact I wasn't even supposed to be there that day, it was literally a last minute invite. I was assured that I would be there the next day that it would be worked out.

Little did I know the next day when I walked into the meeting after the workshop that I wasn't being interviewed. I was being given the job description, thoughts and ideas for the next year, and basically having the ball in my court to accept the position or not.

I must say if I even had a shadow of doubt in my mind before walking into the room for our meeting, it was wiped away the second the assistant principal opened his mouth. It was as if he had opened up my mind, read my deepest desires and dreams for where I wanted to see literacy in the future at my current school, and read those desires out loud for all to hear.

Am I really ready for this? Who knows. I sure seem to have a lot of people excited and supportive of this move. Does that add pressure? You bet. But I think that's how I work best...under the pressure of high expectations. Do I ever get tire of it? Yes, but it's so instilled in me that I don't know any other way to be except to rise to the expectations set before me.

This past year I had gone from teaching 3rd grade for five years to being an ELI (early literacy interventionist). Again a job proposed by the same lady who proposed my new job to me. A job I didn't even try for, wasn't even looking for. It was a great experience. Eye opening for sure. And the entire year, I was quietly figuring things out, planning for how things were going to be so much better next year. Then two weeks before school let out this year, I suddenly went from ELI to IF (instructional facilitator).

My summer suddenly went from wide open, working on my doctoral classes and starting my disseration to adding in some extra workdays, meetings, and workshops. There are many times I wonder, "What have I gotten myself into?" I've not been trained as a coach. I feel as if I barely knew what I was doing in my previous position.

I feel confident in my decision, but there is still that emotional roller coaster. I'll miss my first school family and drama club (My partner teacher from 3rd grade and I got this started 3 years ago), but I know they will still be there and a new family awaits me. And in that new family may be my next Douglas.

I recall vividly being so frustrated after college and my sudden move to Columbia. I couldn't find a job so I long term subbed at various schools. Then a call came from the district I now work for. It was human resources needing to interview me because a principal wanted to interview me, but needed the district approval first. After going through the process for what seemed like the hundredth time, I was in utter shock and disbelief when I had messages with the job offer before I even got home from the interview. That first year teaching, I knew why God put me through long term subbing the year before. First, an experience that most teachers never get before entering the profession and second, but even more importantly: Douglas.

He's another story, but know that I've been searching for my next Douglas. I think I may have found one this past year as I worked as an ELI. But I know that God is sending me down this next path because there are more Douglas's out there and I must go where He sends me to reach them.

So it is with excitement and fear that I once again dive into the unknown depths and crashing waves as I work to stay afloat. As I already said, I really don't know what I am doing (once again), but I know that with God and the amazing support system I have as well as the amazing people I will get to work with, as will work out.

I leave you with this:
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

As you go through life, you will be faced with obstacles, defeats, falls, and choices (some easy, some hard). Know that God has a plan for you, a purpose. If you listen closely, you will hear Him. It will then be up to you to be an obidient child of God and listen and follow, or not.

2 comments:

  1. I sense that this will be a good move, although all professional changes are stressful. You seem to be a person with such strong faith. That will see you through. I have been a teacher for 30 years. Wow, that makes me old. But I can honestly say that all of my experiences - even/especially the difficult ones have made me better at my craft. Yours will too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be so great and so happy, Brandi! This is such a great position for you!

    ReplyDelete