Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Should You Really Give Up Something for Lent?


As an early teen I was introduced to the idea of giving up something for Lent through my friends. It was then that I learned that I can do anything I set my mind to. Afterall, one year I gave up chocolate; one year meat; one year soda (I think). But as an adult I let the Season of Lent slip by me time and time again.

Last year, I decided to learn a little more about Lent. I came across a great article that really touched me. In the article it discussed that when we give up something, the real intent is for the sacrifice be one that prepares us and brings us closer to God. Well, that just did it for me. This act of what I now consider almost a false giving up of something, made me really think about what I would "give up".

Although a little late, I knew that one goal I had for years was to read the entire Bible. I had tried so many different ways...reading every night before bed, using the back of my Women's Devotional Bible to know just what I should read each day, etc. No matter what I tried, I would end up allowing life to get in my way. But I became determine last year during the season of Lent.

While I didn't necessarily give something up, I did prioritize my time. I was in a bad habit of waking, making lunches, and then playing Facebook games (Candy Crush for example) on my tablet while I sat at the table eating my cereal. As I sat spooning Frosted Flakes in my mouth one morning, it hit me as the connection to the article on Lent came rushing back. So sometime a few weeks after Ash Wednesday, I changed my morning routine.

While I would still make lunches first, as I sat to eat, I would open my Holy Bible app and read not only my verse for the day like I had been reading, but I would also read the Bible. You see within the app you can choose which Bible version you want and even how you want your plan to be laid out. One of the best things is, I am still at it and I am only one day behind where I should be.

The other best thing....I didn't give up this new expectation of myself on the weekends as I had often done when I would pull out my traditional hardback Bible. My tablet would follow me around and I wouldn't allow myself to do much of anything until I finished my reading for the day (I would allow eating breakfast as I read, taking care of getting Aubrey up if she woke, getting the kids food).

Recently the second great thing has started to shine through. I noticed as my kids pointed my way in church this past Sunday when there was a question or statement about reading the Bible daily. You see, my kids have caught on that no matter what, mommy reads the Bible every morning.

So as I begin to think about this year's season of Lent, I began to think in much a similar way as I did last year. As you noticed, I have been writing so many more blogs lately. Some just because I love to write and I have gotten away from it, but really, because years ago I chose the name Brandi's Lifesong for my blog, because that is what my blog's main purpose is....to share my Lifesong. So I am once again making it a priority to put Facebook games on the back burner so that I can share my LIFESONG.  Not every post will be about God, not every post will be medical related or about family, some may be about leadership, some about teaching, but whatever the focus, I always pray for God to give me the words to say and that someone who may need to "hear" those words will happen to read my blog.

So I leave you with a song and a question: Are you giving up something for Lent and is it for the right reasons or just to say you've given up something?


No comments:

Post a Comment