Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day

As I read the sweet romantic posts about couples and their first Valentine's I think back on what I recall about Valentine's Day. And then, my husband asks me over the phone, "Do you remember what we did our first Valentine's Day together?" To which I honestly reply, "No, I can remember we did go to Ruby Tuesday's one time and got that special they always do."

You see there are many, many things I can recall down to the minute detail and that drives some people (even myself) a little crazy sometimes. But Valentine's Days are not always one of them. Here are the ones I do recall....

In school, I never could wait to get home so I could tear open my Valentine's and truly get giddy about the one's given to me and what they said....especially if I really thought one of the boys who gave it was cute.

Then you get a little older and middle school brought on the hopes that you would get a flower from someone special, or a little gift from a boyfriend. Similar in high school.

But the Valentine's that hold the clearest memories for me....2001 when I got Piper around Valentine's Day. Afterall she was my first puppy that I was completely responsible for, she was so tiny, and so lovable. Hard to believe I've had her for 13 years now and her age is really showing as her fur has gradually turned white around the muzzle and ears, her hearing isn't what it used to be, neither is her sight, but she will still snuggle up.

The next most memorable would be in 2009. We were still learning just how bad Bradley's food allergies really were and since we never really saw much change in avoiding milk or milk products, we were a little lax in allowing certain food items from time to time. Little did we know that part of the reason for not seeing changes was because he had more allergies to foods that we were first led to believe.

You see Valentines 2009, Bradley was allowed M&Ms. A food he had always loved, but we took away from him except for once in a while. Late that night I went in to check on his screams to find a bloody mess as he had torn through his legs to the point they looked like parts had been through a meat grinder.

This Valentine's we have even more answers and prepare ourselves for our new normal that will enter our home in a few short weeks.

So, while it is wonderful to celebrate Valentine's Day, and I can be a stickler for remembering details, there are a few that I let slip by including how Mark and I spent our first Valentine's Day. Guess I'm kinda lucky that he can go with the flow and we just celebrate things whenever:-)

Now as I write this, I must say I may be able to recall this Valentine's, but not over anything super romantic. Instead it will be because the week leading up to it included a winter storm that had us "stuck" in Charleston for an extra day after Bradley's appointments, missing 3 days of school, and now as I type a minor earthquake. I haven't felt an earthquake since living in Charleston. The ones I felt then were about like this one....shaking for a few seconds. In middle school I thought a tree had fallen, in high school I thought someone was shaking the desk, and now I honestly yelled, "Mark, are you washing clothes?" To which he replied, "No, what the he** was that? I think it was an earthquake." Then Facebook exploded with comments.

So for all your romantics at heart, I hope you enjoyed your Valentine's Day. For everyone, let us always remember "faith, hope, and love are some good things He gave us, but the greatest is LOVE."

No comments:

Post a Comment