Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Hands

Hands: Some are rough, some soft. Some scarred, some flawless. Some wrinkled, some smooth.

Our hands are used for many things: holding, touching, kneading, lifting, patting, digging, writing, praying.

To me, our hands can tell so many stories.

Even the Bible mentioned hands over and over from God's hand being heavy to being the hand that lifts us up to the hands of healing and the hands laid upon others so that the Holy Spirit may enter them.

Our hands are important.

About 15 years ago, I gained several extra "grandparents." One of those was Mr. Pete. Oh how I loved Mr. Pete. I cried dearly when I heard that he had passed away. Mr. Pete was such a strong, gentle, handsome loving man. What I would give to sit through another choir practice or Christmas Cantata and hear him sing "Sweet Baby Jesus Boy" Oh to hear his story like bass voice tell this story, sing this song. This spiritual. When trying to find this song now, I find so many versions, but none compare to the more spiritual sound of this song. Mr. Pete sang it as a story. In a way that I can't really describe. I wish I had video of him singing it.



There is another song I loved to hear Mr. Pete sing. A song that reminds me of him and I can almost feel him near when I think of it. Ironically, about the same time I learned of Mr. Pete's passing, I also went to visit grave sights in Virginia of my great grandparents. It was chilling when I looked up and saw my own grandparents headstone there among the others. My first thought was, "Did they die and no one told me?" Quickly I realized there were no death dates. As I walked around the stone, I saw hands in prayer and "Precious Lord Take My Hand" This was the song that I LOVED to hear Mr. Pete sing. A song I will never be able to sing and give it the same beauty as Mr. Pete, but a song I love none the less. 

In our times of praise, trouble, weariness, pain...we should lift our hands, let the Lord take us in his hands, and give us the love he has for us. The comfort only he can give. 

Luke 4:40 Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto Him; and He laid His hands on every one of them, and healed them.

1 Timothy 4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of presbytery.





No comments:

Post a Comment