Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

God Whispers


Proverbs 16: 3-4 Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established. The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.

It's hard to believe, but 18 years ago I used to sit in a youth Sunday School class at Miles Road Baptist Church learning more about God. Well, to be specific, I really recall learning about being a witness. To tell others our story, to share the love of Christ. I remember thinking of how brave they were to stand in front of others and share their story.

Over the past few months while I have been praying for others and for my family, I have also been praying for God to show me, to lead me to where he wants me to go next. You see a few years ago I got into a bad habit. I would only attend church on days I had to teach Sunday School. A year and a half ago, I decided that I was going to stop doing that and make sure I show up on Sundays and attend Sunday School for myself, to grow me. Well, I guess God wanted to make sure I was going to stay committed to being there every Sunday because suddenly in a span of about a month I became the only Sunday School teacher for my K-2nd graders. And trust me, when you have to teach, you have to plan, and when you do that you learn.

As time would have it, I began praying again for God's purpose for me in my job and in life in general. You see I really do miss being part of the choir, even though I personally have low self esteem, especially when it comes to singing. I have to keep reminding myself that I did have to try out to be in honor choir at two different high schools and my previous church choir director did have me do a couple of solos and duets. So maybe, just maybe I can sing a little. But I also know that of the many gifts God has blessed me with, becoming some dynamic singer is not it. So will I make it back to the choir, one day.

So while choir has been at the back of my mind, this whole idea of being a witness has continued to pop into my head over the past few months. So for me, knowing that I love writing and have always received compliments for my writing, I knew that I needed to return to my blog. Afterall I named it Brandi's Lifesong because I wanted to share not just my life, but my Life Song. My life with God. My life with Jesus. And oddly enough, I keep telling and thinking about Bradley and what God has in store for him and how God is using him as part of the ministry to share God's love. To show others how to have the faith like a child that God calls us to have. I never really thought about the fact that all this time, I have also been witnessing for God. Sharing for others to hear the Good News.

But all this time, I think God has been whispering and apparently he had to raise his voice a little higher than a whisper because he wants me to see that he has plans to use me as well. Granted I don't know his plans, but I do know that I need to open myself up, to be quiet and listen. So these past few months I've been praying about what is next. And all this time, the memories of learning about being a witness have popped up over and over. Even to the point of thinking of how I can work with my K-2nd graders on how to be a witness at a level they understand.

Just this past Sunday, God whispered to me during the announcements, only I didn't pay much attention to it. Something was mentioned about a group getting together to pray and nominate individuals for a ministry at the church. I paid only enough attention to give it a passing thought of "I wonder who God is going to direct them to choose?" It was then that God whispered, but honestly I pushed the whisper away. I passed it off as my planning out scenarios in my head like I often do. The whisper was just barely enough to blow a seed into my mind, that maybe I would get asked.  I quickly quieted that whisper down and told myself that wouldn't happen and I don't have time.

Then God placed before me the forgotten milk, the denial phone calls, and the need to go to the grocery store....alone. He knew I would seek him out and I did as you may have read in my previous post. It was just enough for me to let go of the frustrations and remember that with Him all things are possible and we will get through this.

A couple hours later, I receive a private Facebook message with some attachments. A letter and a description of the responsibilities. What God has been whispering, what I've been praying about, and the seed that was planted, but hadn't been nurtured all week were staring me in the face all of a sudden in black and white from my computer screen. A nomination. A request that I pray on this opportunity and even if I choose to not accept...it would be okay. The essence of the new group will be focused on evangelism and being a witness. Isn't it funny how God works. So now, as I have been since I received the documents, I pray. I will continue to pray on this and open myself up to hear God's whisper.

You see God knows our hearts, he knows his purpose for us, he knows how to reach us, he knows his plans for us, and he promises to be with us through it all. So I leave you to reflect on what God has in store for your life. How can he use you? Let us recall and reflect on the following:

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.




No comments:

Post a Comment