Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Little Things

I hastily shoved everything from around the room to the middle of the floor. Legos, trash, clothes, Star Wars figures. You name it, I shoved it.

Then I lined up all the containers so I could quickly toss items into their correct place. I began tossing and the pile got smaller and smaller, but then I stopped.

My hand seemed unable to let go. It was just trash afterall, an empty Kid Clif Bar wrapper that had been hastily tossed aside by an eight year old boy who loved to try sneaking snacks to his room after bedtime. An empty wrapper that may have been tossed aside so he could get back to his game.

For me, it was more than just an empty wrapper. Tears began to well as I realized that as much as I have yelled over the years for Bradley to throw away his wrappers, I will be stopping that practice. I won't have to yell at him to throw his wrappers away because there won't be any wrappers. At least not for quite some time to come.

Isn't it amazing how sometimes the smallest, most insignificant item can bring us to our knees? Can stop us dead in our tracks?

I pray that we all take time to notice the small moments. It is so much easier to focus on the big that sometimes we forget to slow down. Take the time. SLOW DOWN. These moments will be gone before you know it. Take the time to really STOP and NOTICE.

Drink it all in so that when you need it most, God will send to you that faint smell that reminds you of your grandfather. Or maybe the few chords of music that transports you back in time sitting on your bedroom floor listening to the radio. Notice the feel of a loved one's hands or the sound of their voice. Notice the tastes. Let your body absorb it all. Because it is these moments your gonna miss.


No comments:

Post a Comment