Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cracker Jack Degree

As the decision time draws near for my dissertation topic, I am reminded of the decision I made a year ago. Pursue my doctorate in education? Where? How?

Even before achieving my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction: Literacy from Lesley University, I was already thinking about a doctorate. My masters was set up in a cohort format that met one full weekend a month every month for almost 2 years. The weekends were intense, but the schedule worked for me and I wouldn't do it any other way. I still can't imagine how I would have done it if I had to attend classes on a weekly basis. I know I would have, but the format I chose was great and I got to learn from professors from all over the states.


After taking a year off from schooling I couldn't stop the itch to return. Some people are addicted to drugs, others alcohol, others shopping. Well, I guess I'm addicted to learning. So I began comparing my options.

With 2 little ones at home, I knew I needed a program with a lot of flexibility. I also talked with 2 colleagues who are also pursuing their doctorate in education. One actually attending USC and the other online through Walden. I looked at both of their course work loads and quality and sometimes thought the online way had more work to do, but I knew this was probably going to be the way to go.

Unfortunately I'm also one who worries about what others think and I constantly plan and live in the future (although I'm trying hard not to). With so many people with the thought that online degrees are a dime a dozen or cracker jack degrees, I really struggled with committing to an online program, but then I got to thinking....

What does the future hold? Technology certainly isn't slowing down. As a matter of fact, there are many high schools now offering classes via online format. And to tell the truth, I honestly think that one day, online will be the norm for schooling. Scary...I know. After all what about class discussion, face to face communication, etc. Well apparently that's what things like Elluminate and video classes are for.

So here I am. In my third semester with Nova Southeastern pursuing my Educational Doctorate in Instructional Leadership with concentrations in Curriculum Development and Early Childhood.

Not only do the classes fit my schedule, but it is so eye opening to read other perspectives from peers across the world. Yes world. This is something hard found by attending a local university where all the students are living and working in similar settings.

So am I receiving a Cracker Jack degree? A degree that is a dime a dozen? I don't think so and for anyone who disagrees. Have you challenged yourself to be disciplined enough to pursue an online course let alone degree? Have you compared the curriculum of the doctorate from the local university to that of an online program?

And for everyone wanting to know how I do this with children and with all that has occupied my year....by the GRACE of GOD! and lots of family support.

1 comment:

  1. we support you, love you and most of all... we are very PROUD of you!
    there is no such thing as a cracker jack degree in my opinion- if you worked hard at obtaining something, and accomplished it by receiving a degree, then its worthy and respectable. people who disagree need to find a better hobby than to be a critic on educational accomplishments...you're an amazing woman Brandi!
    again- love ya and we're proud of ya!
    ~Steph

    ReplyDelete