Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

That Age

So what is that age?

A few years back my mom returned from the doctor with her first story of "Well, you are getting to be that age." Ever since she's had similar stories from doctors.

So much so that we often use that line around the house for various reasons.

Yesterday I went for a follow up appointment with my regular doctor that should've been done months ago. Of course he went back over family history double checking who has diabetes, etc. Same ole same ole...I thought.....

After stating that my dad, uncles, grandparents, etc. have diabetes and it was clarified that diabetes runs on both sides of my family, the doctor looked up from his note taking and told me, "Well you're getting to that age where I think you should have blood work done yearly since there is a history. This way we can keep a check on cholesterol, blood sugar, anemia,etc."

Yay me! Woo hoo! NOT! I guess I finally got to "That age" of course I thought I still had another decade before that. Afterall I don't recall my mom getting that speech until she was closer to her 40s. Maybe that's just selective memory on my part.

So for all you 20somethings out there BEWARE...you're almost to "That Age"

From a 29 year old who is now "that age"

3 comments:

  1. I hear you on the phrase "that age"...what a terrible way to say it... he could have said "well, maybe we should keep an eye on you", no mention of "that age" or anything similar to it... if we do well baby check ups on babies and they are obviously FAR from any age that would be considered "that age", then why can't we have well-big kid check ups? ha ha... well, if it makes you feel better --we're not far behind ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the ripe old age of 51 (52 in a couple weeks) I relate to that age. I woke up with a really sore shoulder from playing on the playground with my students. I shudder to think what my students will think of me in about 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is EXACTLY how I felt about a month ago when I was told to schedule my baseline mammogram. I said "What?! Those are for old women!" I have yet to make the call. Denial or something.

    ReplyDelete