Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sharing my Story Day 14: Reaching Out

One goal of this blog focus: Sharing my Story and the Wednesday night group "What's Your Story" is to figure out what our story is and reflect on how God has worked in our lives. The other goal is for us to grow closer in our walk with God so that we can be just what he calls us to be: Fishers of Men.

I share my life and God's work in it all day long with Facebook and through writing, but my biggest challenge is sharing God with others.

Probably the most I share God with others is in casual conversation if it fits and then when others say "I don't know how you do all that you do" and I respond "Through the grace of God."

As I walked to the sanctuary today I noticed as sign on the wall that said something like this "Instead of being fishers of men, too many have become keepers of the aquarium."

Such a powerful statement. 

Is this really what we want? For all of us to stay safe around fellow Christians, fellow church members, and just keep those within the walls happy. Is that what God wants us to do? 

It certainly is the easy thing to do. Keeping things nice and comfortable. It is much easier to talk about God with people who already know him. 

But that isn't what God has called us to do. Instead he wants us to reach out to others, to share his love and help plant the seeds in people so that they may begin to open their hearts to the one who is already there waiting to be let in. He wants us to reach out to sinners and lost sheep. And the great thing, he doesn't even hold us accountable for the decisions the other people make. He just wants us to open up and share. He will work on the rest.   

So as you consider your story, can you find those moments when you have shared the love of Christ and the plan of salvation with others? Where are the moments when you invited someone to church? What about the moments when all you did was share your story and how God was present? 

I know I personally have a long road to go when it comes to reaching out to others, but I will continue to do as Psalm 105:4 states "Look to the Lord and his strength, seek his face always." I will look to the Lord for the strength and the words to be the fisher of men he is calling me to be. 

Let us pray:
Father, thank you. Thank you for showering me with many blessings, with your love, and your grace. Help me to become the person you dream me to be. Help me to find my voice so that I may share you with others. In your name, Amen.

For more thoughts check out this link: Fishers of Men, Not Keepers of the Aquarium

No comments:

Post a Comment