Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Sharing my Story Day 8: Growth and More Trials

1 Peter 5:10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

Do you ever have those days? You know, the ones where you are so tired, so weak, so ready to give up? Days where you just yearn with all your being for peace and rest?

Is it just all the little stuff that keeps piling up or some major life event? Or for that matter many life events? Days where you feel like you can just barely keep your head above water wondering when it will all end.

Think about some of those days in your life. Which ones really stick out? Now take a closer look, play it back in slow motion. Now stop. Right there....yes there. You may not have noticed it then, but God was right there the whole time. How did you get through it? Or how are you getting through it? Take some time to reflect on your story now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You must, you must think I'm strong,
To give me what I'm going through.
Well forgive me, forgive me if I'm wrong,
But this looks like more than I can do."

These words start the song "Strong Enough" by Matthew West and I can't tell you how many times this will come on and I tear up knowing that yes, I have had this conversation many times with God and at the same time realizing that He is strong enough for the both of us. He will restore us, confirm us, strengthen us, and establish us.

A couple years ago I was having a discussion with a colleague over lunch about our children. Her two children fight their own battles...I don't know all the details, but enough to know that she knows what it is like to visit various doctors all the time, face surgeries, and yet still help her children be as normal as everyone else.

Within that conversation we somehow discussed siblings and she mentioned that she really feels that God knows exactly what he is doing when he blesses us with our children. She shared that she couldn't see her sibling ever being able to really handle the special needs of her children on a daily basis.

God does give us just what we can handle. Sometimes to the point that we really start to doubt and question, because let me tell you there are those dark moments. The times when the scratching, the medical costs and doctors' visits, the not being able to go do something as a family, the avoiding of certain activities, etc. it all gets overwhelming even when you have support and relief all around. You just want a break....an extended break would be great....but even the short breaks because it is tiring and weakening. But God is right there the whole time....he is strong enough for the both of us.

I find him in the oddest of times helping to give me strength...from a song on the radio to the few precious snatched moments of giggles and smiles at just the right moment to the random "Hey I was thinking about you all last night" to "You know, you really are a calming person to be around." That last one just happened to be said to me in the midst of my "I really don't want to be here doing this job at this moment and am struggling with each moment to stay professional" days early this school year.

Let us pray:
God, Thank you for helping me to be strong when I am weak, for giving me rest when I am weary, for comforting me when I need it the most. Help me as I walk each day with you. Help me to seek you first above all else no matter what life throws at me because as long as I stay with you, I know you will help me fight, you will help me see the light. In your name I pray, Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment