Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Sharing my Story Day 20: We are Clay

"Yet you, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand." Isaiah 64:8



This is my middle child, Tori. She is my free spirited artist. Until recently it was normal to find her wearing two completely different socks (on purpose) and some interesting combinations for her outfits. She is unique in that she wants to fit in while at the same time march to the beat of her own drum. She wears her heart on her sleeve and her moods can change at the drop of a hat. She is my beautiful Victoria Brooke and I wouldn't change her for the world.

Back in January I was introduced to a place called The Pitter Platter. Well, I had heard about it the summer before, but had never been there until a great friend invited me in January. I almost didn't go because of money and knowing that finances were about to get hit hard with Bradley's upcoming surgery. But I went and I am so glad I did.

I knew Tori would love this place. She could probably spend hours here. I never was able to work it for her to go to summer camp, but thankfully they have started doing weekly Saturday kid classes. We went a couple weeks ago for a canvas class and today she decided she wanted to spend her own money to go to the Wheel Throwing class. She loved it.

As I sat in (I was curious to learn and wanted to be there in case her skin became irritated with this), I learned a little about wheel throwing. I watched as the girls started their bowls and couldn't help but think of the ultimate potter. God.

When you start at the wheel, you have this lump of clay that you sort of slam down on the center of the wheel with enough muscle to make it stick. You then use your fingers to press the clay to the wheel so that it has a large enough area holding on. And then comes the work. You make sure that your hands and the clay are wet and turn the wheel on. Using just enough pressure from your hands, you get a round cylinder shape going (similar to the top picture), then comes the shaping. With your hands surrounding the outside, you overlap your thumbs and start pressing down the center until you get a deep enough hole without going through to the bottom. From there you insert your index and middle finger into the hole and start gently pressing the hole wider by pulling your fingers back to your stomach.Once wide enough, you take one hand and make a "crab claw"...basically you have all 4 fingers together in the center and your thumb on the outside. With your other hand on the outside you provide extra support to your thumb. Now you slow pinch the bowl in your "claw" and work your hand up. This increases the depth of your bowl. Once it is right, take a finger and allow it to smooth out the top rim. The entire time you are working, you keep making sure the clay and your hands stay wet. If it gets too sticky, you know there isn't enough water. After you've smoothed out the rim, using a sponge, get up any excess water from the center of the bowl.

Then comes times to get ready to remove the bowl from the wheel. A wooden knife is used to cut away the area around the bottom and then a cutting wire is slipped beneath your creation so it can be slid off the wheel. The pottery is then placed in a kiln and fired.

This reminds me of Isaiah 64:8 because we too are clay and we are shaped by God, the potter. As God works to shape us, sometimes our lives get sticky just like a lump of clay on the potter's wheel when it doesn't have enough water. Sometimes we stray off the path and away from God, clay can do the same thing. It is very noticeable as it starts to wobble and looks warped until the potter comes in and adds pressure and shaping to just the right places.

Take some time to think about those times in your life. When did you start to stray? Did you feel the pressure of God's gentle hands has he worked to reshape you, to smooth out the bumps? Can you see where He took you from a "lump of oddly shaped clay" and turn you into a beautiful, creation with a purpose in life. As I watched Tori work her clay and I listened to the instruction taking place, I could tell it takes just the right amount of pressure to make the change but not so much that it destroys the piece. God touches our lives this way too. Knowing just how much pressure to apply at just the right moment.

Let us pray,
God thank you for shaping me into who I am today. I know that I am not finished yet and I know you have so much in store for me. Lord, I give my life into your hands. Lord, you have also placed a special woman in my path and on my heart. Please keep whispering in her ear. She hears you Lord. Help me to continue to do the work you have laid before me. Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment