Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sharing my Story Day 7: Growth and Trials

In Beth Moore's book, When Godly People Do Ungodly Things: Finding Authentic Restoration in the Age of Seduction, Beth shares her thoughts on times in our life when things are going well, when they are troublesome, and why the Satan doesn't have to work quite so hard on us when we are being rebellious. You see, when we are not doing God's will, Satan can just sit back, he doesn't have to fight for us. It is when he sees us growing closer in our walk that he has to step back in. But God is always on our side and is ready to equip us with exactly what we need, he is there to teach us how to fight. We just have to keep returning to God in all circumstances.

So let us continue to examine the trials of our life. How did we react? Did we stray? Did we cling closer? What is there for us to learn from the trial and how can our sharing help others?

Take time now to reflect and prepare to share your story.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few people outside of my family know that I was married once before. Here's my story....

All was going right in the world, I was in my final year of college in the midst of student teaching. We were going to be celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary right after my graduation. I was active in the church choir, served on one of the church committees, and even ran Vacation Bible School.

My parents had recently moved to Columbia and I was down visiting with them over my spring break. When I called my husband at the time, I could tell something wasn't quite right, but I let it go. Little did I know that while I was planning a family on my trip, my soon to be ex was planning his escape.

Once I returned home, he took a couple days, but then let me know. He moved out of the bedroom into our spare room. Anytime my mom would call I would pretend things were fine, but she knew better. She was just trying to be patient enough for me to break the news to her about whatever was troubling me. Soon I had no choice because graduation was around the corner and family would be coming. There was no way I could put up a false facade in person. So the call was made.

Over the course of the next few months as I rearranged all my plans to include moving back in with my parents and seeking a job in an unfamiliar location, I still remained active at church. Afterall, those "adopted" grandparents and others were the only people physically close to me at the time. Each weekend I made the trek to Columbia, slowly moving my stuff there.

During this time it pained me so. Sure the divorce itself was easy. We didn't have children, no real amount of debt together, and what few material possessions we had we either sold and split the money or simple grabbed what we wanted. You see the pain was in being torn between anger, confusion, and love.

This was one time in my life when I suffered a trial and while I continued to pray and believe once I got to Columbia, I did not seek out another church. I did not fellowship regularly with other Christians. I went my own way. And you know what....life was kinda easy.

God knew I was there and would be back, but the devil on the other hand. He thought he had me because he wasn't having to fight for me. I wasn't in church like I had been for the past several years. He thought he had won. Little did he know that I was going to come back fighting even stronger.

Let us pray:
God, I thank you for free will. For the freedom of choice. And also for continuing to be there even when it may not seem to others that we are walking with you. Thank you for being patient and loving when we step out. Thank you for putting the right people back in our lives, the right doors opened, so that we may find our way back to you in the midst of our brokenness. In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment